|Definition (Myers): The study of paranormal phenomena, including ESP and psychokinesis|
|Definition (alternative): "Parapsychology is defined as the interdisciplinary study of a class of human experiences which are typically described by the percipient as Aparanormal,@ Asupernatural,@ Amystical,@ etc. Paranormal experiences are defined as those experiences which seem to violate known scientific laws (whether or not they do in fact violate such laws). Examples of paranormal experiences include Extra-sensory perception (ESP), Psychokinesis (PK), and phenomena suggestive of survival of human consciousness after death, e.g. apparitions, near-death experiences, etc. Parapsychology is also concerned with all anomalous aspects of human consciousness, including altered states of consciousness, dreams, hypnosis and trance, etc."|
Main purpose of parapsychology is to explain supernatural phenomenons and after-deaths.
The "paranormal" refers to unusual experiences that do not seem to be explainable in terms of our everyday understanding or known principles.
- Human consciousness can exist independent of brain activity (Reductionism/Epiphenomenalism)
- Man's psychic powers (Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Precognition, Psychokinesis, Bi-location, Psychic Healing, Dowsing, Psychometry)
- Man's creative and spiritual nature
- Out-of-the-body experiences
- Deathbed Visions
- Communications from the dead
- Physical phenomenon
- Case suggestive of reincarnation
|Related terms and concepts:|
- Myers, D. G. (2004). Psychology. New York, New York: Worth Publishers.
- Parapsychology Principles. Retrieved October 17, 2009, from American Institute of Parapsychology Web site: http://www.parapsychologylab.com/
- Rogge, M (2009). PARAPSYCHOLOGY and personal survival after death. Retrieved October 17, 2009, Web site: http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/paraps.html
- Introduction to Parapsychology and Psychic Science. Retrieved October 17, 2009, from Psychicscience Web site: http://www.psychicscience.org/parintro.aspx
- Dotinga, R Bodyhack Just another WordPress weblog Taking Psi Seriously in Scotland. Bodyhack, Retrieved October 18, 2009, from http://www.wired.com/bodyhack/2006/12/taking_psi_seri/
- Out of Body Experiences (OBE). Retrieved October 17, 2009, from Investigation Discovery Web site: http://investigation.discovery.com/investigation/paranormal/parapsychology/obe.html
- N4CiR3M4, Bill Cooper Dimensions In Parapsychology 1. Retrieved October 17, 2009, from YouTube Web site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aBDXwwgekk
- (2009). Category: Paranormal - Groups and Investigators. Sue St.Clair and Matthew Didier's Paranormal Blog, Retrieved October 18, 2009, from http://seminars.torontoghosts.org/blog/index.php?cat=15
|Edited by: Eungi|
|Date of last edit: October 18, 2008|